German-Dutch Roman heritage preserved

RNW archive

This article is part of the RNW archive. RNW is the former Radio Netherlands Worldwide or Wereldomroep, which was founded as the Dutch international public broadcaster in 1947. In 2011, the Dutch government decided to cut funding and shift RNW from the ministry of Education, Culture and Science to the ministry of Foreign Affairs. More information about RNW Media’s current activities can be found at

The Netherlands and Germany will jointly nominate the Limes Germanicus as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

From 57 BC until around 400 AD the Limes formed the border between the Roman Empire and the Germanic lands to its north. Remnants of the Limes can be found everywhere in the landscape.

The province of Gelderland has the largest number of visible reminders of the Limes in the Netherlands, but remnants and archaeological finds linked to it can also be found in the provinces of Utrecht and South Holland.

The Limes Germanicus includes not only border markings but also excavated shipwrecks, remnants of forts and settlements, roads and part of a Roman water mains.

The entire border extends for 568 kilometres. The Lower Germanic Limes runs from the Dutch North Sea coast near the town of Katwijk, along the Oude Rijn river to Arnhem and the German border and is the Netherlands' most extensive archaeological monument.

The other two sections, the Upper Germanic Limes and the Rhaetian Limes extend all the way to Kelheim, near Regensburg, on the River Danube. 


© Radio Netherlands Worldwide