As many publications are now delivered electronically, either as dowloadable files on the Web, or on CD-ROM or cassette, we have dispensed with the separate audio and CD-ROM category, and publications are now listed by subject, regardless of the medium. Some titles are listed in more than one subject category if appropriate
All publications listed in the Pub Spot are written in English, unless otherwise stated. For easy reference we have classified publications into the five categories listed below.
* The Pub Spot is currently being updated. Pages which have been updated since the launch of our new website are listed in bold italics. The rest of the pages will be updated as quickly as possible.
General Listening Guides
These publications list broadcasts on multiple platforms, including shortwave, but also satellite, Internet etc.
Shortwave Listening Guides
There are numerous guides to broadcasts in English and other languages on shortwave. Most are updated at least twice a year, offering reliable current sources of listening information.
- Domestic Broadcasting Survey
- The Enigma Newsletter
- Passport to World Band Radio 2009
- Radio Listener's Guide
- Shortwave Frequency Guide
- Super Frequency List
- Transmitter Documentation Project
- Tropical Band List
These bands, known as AM in North America, provide challenging long distance reception possibilities, and there are a number of organizations and publications devoted to this aspect of the radio hobby.
Publications available on worldwide, or in selected areas. These usually carry other articles besides items connected with shortwave.
Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia
- Offshore Echos (English & French)
- Practical Wireless
- Radio Journal (in German)
- RAM (in Dutch)
- The Radio Magazine
- Shortwave Magazine
This category covers offshore broadcasting, landbased and hobby "pirates", clandestine stations - anything that's operating without an official licence.
- Access to the Airwaves
- Offshore Echos
- Pop Went The Pirates
- Radio Caroline North - Rocking'and Rollin'
- Radio Caroline: The True Story - 25 Years On (CD)
- The Story of Radio Atlantis (CD)
- The Radio Forts (CD)
- Rebel Radio
Audio and CD-ROM products of interest to the radio enthusiast. Some of these titles are also listed under subject categories.
- Bloopers Gold / Bloopers Silver
- Electric Enigma
- Latin American Radio Stations 1975-2001
- Offshore Radio Guide
- Radio Caroline: The True Story - 25 Years On
- The Radio England Story
- The Radio Forts
- The Story of Radio Atlantis
- Super Frequency List
- WRTH 1947-1958
- WRTH 1959-1970
These titles involve radio in some way, but are aimed at a wider market than just radio listeners.
- African Broadcast Cultures
- Broadcasting in the Arab World
- Who's Who in British Radio 2002
- WLT; A Radio Romance
There's a lot of interest in "utility" stations as well as specialist subjects such as Numbers Stations which can still be heard on shortwave.
By popular request we have put all the vintage radio books into one section.
- Broadcasting on the Short Waves 1945 to Today
- Listening on the Short Waves 1945 to Today
- On The Short Waves 1923-1945
- Radio Bygones
- Radio Historisch Tijdschrift (Dutch)
- Radio Receivers Past & Present
- Radioricevitori Popolari Tedeschi - Volksempfaenger (Italian)
- Radios by Hallicrafters
- The Zenith Trans-Oceanic - the Royalty of Radios
- "This is the American Forces Network"
- Zenith Radio - The Early Years 1919-1935