RNW Media is an international digital media organisation, working for social change. We believe in a world in which young people, in all their diversity, confidently claim their rights, assume their place in society and drive social change. Our mission is to accelerate the impact of young-people-centred changemakers by co-creating digital media and learning solutions based on data insights and mutual learning. We work with those who, like us, want to unleash the potential of young people aged 15 to 35, using the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) relevant to young people as our compass. We work in countries where the human rights of young people are under threat. Accelerating ‘changemakers’ to have an impact on young people through digital media is instrumental in our approach to achieving sustainable, inclusive, and stable societies by 2030.
We are looking for a Programme Director
In a challenging, international and dynamic environment
Purpose of the position
The Programme Director ensures that RNW Media designs and implements the projects and programmes for which funding is secured. The Programme Director is responsible for the connection between project implemention, the development of the RNW Media network and the objective to measure our direct (changemakers) and indirect (young people) impact.
The Programme Director is a member of the Leadership Team, and as such responsible for leading the organisation towards its objectives while safeguarding the cultural ecosytem. The Programme Director monitors relevant external trends and together with the LT translates these into strategy and execution.
Positioning in the organisation
The Programme Director reports to the CEO.
- As part of the Leadership Team implements RNW Media’s strategy and leads the organisation in a rapidly changing environment.
- Works with the Team Lead Programmes, Team Lead Impact and Network Lead to ensure targets are set and reached contributing to the organisational strategy while ensuring alignment within and across clusters.
- Works with the Programme Team to translate organisational and programme priorities into actionable plans resulting in measurable impact
- Is responsible on a strategic level for the efficient and effective management of RNW Media’s projects and programmes , for the development of RNW Media’s network, and for measuring our impact.
- Identifies programme opportunities aligned with RNW Media’s strategy.
- Works with network members and partners to design adaptive sustainable programmes addressing young people’s needs resulting in social change.
- Plays a proactive role in fundraising and resource mobilisation. Identifies funding opportunities , nurtures partner relationships, and contributes to proposals and project design.
- Leads the design and implementation of programme evaluation frameworks. Ensures that data are collected, analysed, and used for decision-making and programme improvement.
- Where relevant represents RNW Media in external events, conferences, and networks. Builds and maintains partnerships with like-minded organisations, and stakeholders to enhance programme impact.
- Is prepared to manage unexpected challenges and crises during programme implementation. Leads teams in informed decision-making and adaptable strategy adjustments as needed.
- Manages the Team Lead Programme Management, Team Lead Impact and Network Lead. This entails being first point of contact regarding all personnel matters. Responsibilities encompass performance cycles, well-being, learning and development, and regular check-ins with team members.
- Aligns with Human Resources regarding personnel matters if needed.
- Ensures the continuous enhancement and development of our project-based approach and internal project cycle.
- Ensures the ongoing development and utiliszation of analysis and reporting on programme progress and impact.
What you bring
- At least 10 years’ experience in programme management in an international NGO setting;
- Experience in change management;
- Experience in people management and leading a department/team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Fluent in English and preferably another working language;
- Experience in grant management;
- Knowledge of the international development sector and proven affinity with digital rights of young people and the use of digital media for social change;
- Ability and willingness to travel to the MENA region;
- A valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands.
Our Way of Working
- We work in a project-based way; both on internal as external projects;
- We have a high willingness and ability to collaborate with different experts throughout the organisation and with a variety of partners, in order to achieve results;
- We focus on results, solve issues, make agreements and stick to them;
- We hold ourselves and others accountable;
- We are able to foster constructive dialogue;
- We are OK with good to go;
- We learn from successes and mistakes.
Curious: We thrive when we explore and when we ask questions. Our eagerness to learn leads us to new paths.
Adaptive: It’s part of our DNA to stay receptive to new insights and adapt our behaviours, habits and approaches to changing circumstances.
Fresh: Operating at the intersection of digital media and international development shapes our creative nature: we continuously reinvent, rethink and refine to get to fresh and unique approaches.
Synergetic: We believe that together is the only way forward. The whole always has a greater effect than the sum of its parts.
Inclusive: We contribute to a world where young people’s perspectives and voices in all their diversity matter. Inclusivity is inherent not only in what we do, but also in the way we work. Both with each other and with others.
Compensation and Benefits
RNW Media offers a competitive Compensation & Benefits package. This job is graded in a salary scale ranging from €4510.44 – € 6673.86. Your salary will be dependent on experience and expertise. We offer a one-year contract, subject to renewal.
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits, you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of highly skilled professionals. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality of work. We are committed to reflecting the young people for whom we work. We aim to build as diverse a team as possible, whether it be in relation to gender, ethnicity, sexual identity or age.
How to apply?
Deadline for application September 14, 2023. Please apply here. In your application letter outline demonstrable examples how you meet the requirements of the role. An assignment can be part of the procedure.
Only applicants with a valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands will be considered.