RNW Media is an international expert in co-creating digital media tools and interventions for social change. Together with our partner organisations we engage millions of young people across the globe in constructive dialogue in the digital space about what matters to them. We want to contribute to a world where young people in restrictive settings confidently claim their rights, assume their place in society, and shape a better future.
RNW Media is looking for a:
In a challenging, international and dynamic environment
36 hours/week, starting asap
Vacancy number: 21-010
Purpose of the position
The Tech Expert provides technical direction with a clear (technical) digital vision that is in line with RNW Media’s digital strategy. Ensures that appropriate engineering practices are used and advises RNW Media and its partners on continual improvements and tooling. The Tech Expert guarantees a futureproof technical approach.
As Tech Expert you embrace a 21st mindset with a focus on Entrepreneurship, Initiative, Flexibility, Ownership, Communication, Social and Cultural Awareness, Curiosity, Quality and Critical Thinking.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Leading and advising on front/back-end development, specs to develop and code revision;
- Being the go-to person for technical aspects of large-scale web-based solutions and co-creation of partner web-development;
- Defining and advising partners on large-scale web-based solutions;
- Supporting in translating functional design into technical design;
- Advising partners on the web-based applications, the design, implementation and maintenance of the technical architecture;
- Advising partners on technical infrastructure strategies;
- Working with technical partners worldwide in order to co-develop;
- Designing, implementing and maintaining the technical architecture in cooperation with external parties;
- Generating and maintaining technical documentation, tracks and providing updates on project statuses;
- Providing advice on technical infrastructure strategy and co-defining standards and execution plans;
- Being responsible for the safety and security of the technical infrastructure;
- Managing the relationships with the hosting companies and performs DevOps as needed;
- Managing DNS and certificates;
- Supporting partners in the co-definition of standards and execution plans.
Knowledge and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience;
- At least 5-7 years of experience in product development as senior engineer, technical lead or product architect;
- Experience with Metabase, Airflow and Python is a plus;
- Expertise in using Composer, NPM, Gulp or other package mangers and task runners;
- Experience working with Git, preferably exposed to Git Flow;
- Experience with or is comfortable with integration of RESTful APIs;
- The ability to work in an Agile/SCRUM environment;
- The ability to work with Linux (Ubuntu), Apache, NginX, Solr, Memcache & Redis.
- Experience with DevOps operations is a plus, such as SSH, WP CLI, Drush and CI/CD deployments and testing (this can also be trained on the job);
- An understanding of the implications of running global infrastructures and websites;
- The ability to explain technical processes to business stakeholders.
What do we offer?
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits, you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of highly skilled professionals. We are a flexible project-based centre of expertise where you work in multidisciplinary teams. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality of work.
At RNW Media we have a competitive Compensation & Benefits package. This job is graded in salary scale 8 ( € 3.381 – € 4.795,02). Your salary will be dependent on experience and expertise. We offer a one year contract, subject to renewal.
As RNW Media, we are committed to reflecting the young people for whom we work. We aim to build as diverse a team as possible, whether it be in relation to gender, ethnicity, sexual identity or age. People originally from the regions where we work, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America are particularly welcome to apply.
How to apply?
- Apply HERE asap but latest on May 17 at 16.00. In your application letter outline demonstrable examples how you meet the requirements of the role;
- An assignment can be part of the procedure. If this is the case, you will be informed before the second-round interview;
- Only applicants with a valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands will be considered.
Acquisition is not appreciated.