At RNW Media, we support young people who want to speak freely and make their own informed choices about their futures. We work with them to develop online platforms that provide young people with information in areas where this information is often restricted or taboo. These platforms are safe places where they can engage with each other and have conversations about what really matters to them – both personally and politically. Your job will be to support them as they find their voices, build communities and drive social change.
We use a positive, aspirational approach and are working in three regions on two themes. The first theme focuses on realizing sexual and reproductive health and gender rights (SRHR) through Love Matters. Here we’ll focus on unmet needs relating to reproductive health and access to safe abortion, intimate partner violence, gender based violence and LGBT rights. The second theme is called Citizen’s Voice and will surface hopes and dreams as well as barriers to participation such as discrimination, polarization, corruption, violence and lack of accountability. We’re facilitating and supporting youth in becoming the citizen they want to be in the society they want to be in. Examples of Citizen’s Voice projects are Burundian bloggers collective Yaga, the Yemen Youth Panel and This is Africa.
RNW Media is looking for a:
In a challenging international environment
Vacancy number: 18-012-I (second advertisement, extended deadline 7 January)
Purpose of the position
Ensuring the needs of young people in the restricted countries we work for are identified and met by the design and implementation of specific digital platforms and products.
This role constitutes an integral component of RNW’s design process and is largely responsible for the overall success of RNW’s customer journey from start to finish. As a member of RNW’s highly integrated digital and data team, you will work with relevant teams & through research, innovative strategy development, conceptualizing, product definition, and cohesive design.
A successful UX Designer at RNW is by definition an innovative thinker, who understands how UX aligns with product strategy, and is a skilled partner for Hilversum and international colleagues. You will leverage strong internal connections to design, create, and orchestrate truly engaging customer experiences.
Positioning in the organisation
Position in the Digital Team. Reports to the Digital Manager.
What do you have to do?
- You design, conceptualize, and create customer-centric projects across the entire product lifecycle, keeping up with the launches of new RNW platforms and projects
- You work closely with lean, cross-functional teams, both in the Netherlands and in our project countries
- You oversee the work of freelance designers in Hilversum and support the regions with expertise and advice
- You create lasting, effective partnerships within RNW’s Program, Digital and Business teams to find elegant but practical solutions to international cross-cultural design challenges
- You are autonomous. You take full ownership of your work, and have responsibility for all design details along the way
- You rapidly produce concepts and prototypes
- You runs design workshops with multiple stakeholders
- You research and stay up-to-date with interaction design trends in target countries
- You coordinate with external vendors and freelancers as needed to execute projects
- You monitor ongoing improvements in user-centered design and their effects on programmes.
What do you need to have?
- 2+ years user-centered design experience for digital platform, apps, web and mobile devices design;
- Knowledge of UX and UI design patterns, and standard user-centered design methodologies;
- A strong interest in innovative methods and tools;
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and associated design tools;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong organization and communication skills;
- An ability to (learn to) work in the international NGO world;
- Understanding the opportunities and challenges of working in multicultural teams;
- Fluent in English, written and spoken. French is a plus;
- Able to quickly establish trust;
- Able to work both strategically as well as hands-on;
- Risk taking in design, pushing past the obvious, and making something customers love to use;
- Understanding of common project management practices.
What do we offer?
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of professionals representing several countries, working both in Hilversum and in the regions. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality work. You also get to work in an office with a great green space right up against a national forest.
The Hilversum Mediapark train station is only a 10-minute walk. We offer a 7 months contract based on 32 or 36 hours, with potential for extension. The position has a competitive compensation & benefits package aligned with the sector.
How to apply?
- You can complete the application form (CV and Cover letter in PDF) below before January 7th.
- Only applicants already residing in the Netherlands and holding a valid work permit will be considered.
- You can complete the application form (CV and Cover letter in PDF) below.
- If we appoint a suitable candidate before closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time are not processed.
- It could be that during our selection process the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and you have not yet heard from us, your application will remain live.
- Acquisition is not appreciated.