RNW Media is an international NGO and centre of expertise that builds digital communities for social change. We use online media to engage young people (15-30 years old) on sensitive and often-taboo subjects – from love, sex and relationships to civic participation. Through our platforms, young people get comprehensive science- and rights-based information and a safe space to focus on their aspirations and engage in constructive dialogue about what really matters to them.
We use a positive, aspirational approach and are working in three regions on two themes. The first theme focuses on realizing sexual and reproductive health and gender rights (SRHR) through Love Matters. Here we’ll focus on unmet needs relating to reproductive health and access to safe abortion, intimate partner violence, gender based violence and LGBT rights. The second theme is called Citizen’s Voice and will surface hopes and dreams as well as barriers to participation such as discrimination, polarization, corruption, violence and lack of accountability. We’re facilitating and supporting youth in becoming the citizen they want to be in the society they want to be in. Examples of Citizen’s Voice projects are Burundian bloggers collective Yaga, the Yemen Youth Panel and This is Africa.
RNW Media is looking for a:
In a challenging international environment
Vacancy number: 18-012
Purpose of the position
Ensures the requirements of donors and target groups are integrated into a user friendly interaction design. Does research into new products and on existing platforms. This role constitutes an integral component of RNW’s design process and is largely responsible for the overall success of RNW’s customer journey from start to finish. As a member of RNW’s highly integrated digital and data team, you will work with relevant teams & through research, innovative strategy development, conceptualizing, product definition, and cohesive design.
Positioning in the organisation
Position in the Digital Team. Reports to the Digital Manager.
What do you have to do?
- You design, conceptualize, and create customer-centric projects across the entire product lifecycle, keeping up with the launches of new RNW platforms and projects
- You versees the design work of the freelance designers in Hilversum and support the regions with expertise and advice, in close collaboration with Coordinator Graphic Design;
- You create lasting, effective partnerships within RNW’s Program, Data & Digital and Business teams to find practical solutions to international cross-cultural design challenges;
- You rapidly produce concepts and prototypes
- You runs design workshops with multiple stakeholders
- You research and stay up-to-date with interaction design trends in target countries
- You coordinate with external vendors and freelancers as needed to execute projects
- You monitor ongoing improvements in user-centered design and their effects on programmes.
What do you need to have?
- 3-5 years of user-centereddesign experience for digital platform, apps, web and mobile devices design;
- Bachelor degree;
- Knowledge of UX and UI design patterns, and standard user-centereddesign methodologies;
- A strong interest in innovative methods and tools;
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and associated design tools;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong organization and communication skills;
- An ability to (learn to) work in the international NGO world;
- Understanding the opportunities and challenges of working in multicultural teams;
- Fluent in English, written and spoken. French is a plus;
- Able to quickly establish trust;
- Able to work both strategically as well as hands-on;
- Risk taking in design, pushing past the obvious, and making something customers love to use;
- Understanding of common project management practices.
What do we offer?
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits, you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of professionals representing several countries, working both in Hilversum and in our focus countries. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality work. You also get to work in an office with a great green space right up against a national forest. The Hilversum Media Park train station is less than a 15-minute walk. We offer a seven months contract based on 32 or 36 hours per week. The position has a competitive compensation & benefits package aligned with the sector.
How to apply?
- You can complete the application form (CV and Cover letter in PDF) below as soon as possible, but before 1st of August 2019.
- Only applicants already residing in the Netherlands and holding a valid work permit will be considered.
- You can complete the application form (CV and Cover letter in PDF) below.
- If we appoint a suitable candidate before closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time are not processed.
- It could be that during our selection process the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and you have not yet heard from us, your application will remain live.
- Acquisition is not appreciated.