Programme Officer Citizens’ Voice
RNW Media RNW Media is an international NGO and centre of expertise that builds digital communities for social change. We use online media to engage young people on sensitive and often-taboo subjects – from pleasurable sex to civic participation. By facilitating their access to information and amplifying their voices, young people can contribute actively to making their societies more inclusive.
Citizens’ Voice is one of RNWs thematic programmes and focuses on civic participation and inclusive governance. Citizens’ Voice (CV) started in 2015 and promotes inclusive governance and social cohesion with young people. The main funders of CV are the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the EU. There are seven Citizens’ Voice digital platforms, in DRC, Burundi, Mali, Yemen, Libya, Syria and China, respectively. Citizens’ Voice takes an aspirational approach to content and uses strategic moderation to support transition of polarised discussions into constructive dialogue that fosters diversity of opinion. The platforms offer inclusive, safe spaces for a broad diversity of young people from across political, ethnic, gender, social, cultural or religious divides in fragile or repressive settings. On our platforms young people can access and engage with pluralistic, reliable information and perspectives on sociocultural norms and values, youth needs and aspirations. In our digital communities they can discuss what is important to them, collectively envision the future, and connect to influential actors. For more information, see: www.rnw.org/what-we-do/citizens-voice
RNW Media is looking for a:
Programme Officer Citizens’ Voice
In a challenging international digital environment
32 hours/week – part time
Vacancy number: 18-028
Purpose of the position
Providing support to RNW’s Citizens’ Voice programme to enable its consolidation and to scale its implementation.
Positioning in the organisation
Positioned in RNW’s Programmes and Implementation (P&I) team within the Citizens’ Voice programme team. Reporting directly to the Citizens’ Voice Programme Manager, works closely with the programme team members, Regional Managers, regional teams and other P&I colleagues.
What you have to do
- Responsible of distillationand development of key programme stages and building blocks including process coordination;
- Documentation drafting and development;
- Support in the harvesting of lessons learnt;
- Responsible for project reporting;
- Support in the maintenance of project assets;
- Assist with development of programme advocacy and campaign framework.
Research and writing
- Undertakedesk research;
- Contributeto programme position and policy papers;
- Convertexisting reports, data sets, research into materials for external stakeholders.
Communications and programme promotion
- Plan of programmelearning events;
- Developmentof programme communications;
- Development of programme narratives
- Reportwriting: preparing donor, partner and internal reports;
- General programme administration.
What you need to have
- 2/3 years’ experiencein international development;
- Mastersin a relevant field;
- Affinitywith and understanding of Citizens’ Voice programme themes (Human Rights; Citizenship; Democracy; Civic engagement);
- Demonstrablewriting and research skills;
- Excellent intercultural communication skills;
- Experience working with international teams;
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple activities and timelines across multiple projects;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Fluent in English(French or Arabic a plus);
- Experience or understanding of social change and/or behaviour change through media is a plus.
What do we offer?
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of professionals representing several countries, working both in Hilversum and in our focus countries. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality work. You also get to work in an office with a great green space right up against a national forest. The Hilversum Media Park train station is less than a 15-minute walk. We offer a one-year contract based on 32 hours per week. The position has a competitive compensation & benefits package aligned with the sector.
As RNW Media, we are committed to reflecting the young people with whom we work. We aim to build as diverse a team as possible, whether it be in relation to gender, ethnicity, sexual identity or age. People originally from the regions where we work, sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and Northern Africa and China are particularly welcome to apply.
How to apply?
- You can complete the application form (CV and Cover letter in PDF) below before 15th April 2019.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as all applications will be processed and evaluated on ongoing basis and the position may be filled sooner than the closing date.
- Only applicants with a valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands will be considered.
- If we appoint a suitable candidate before closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time are not processed.
- It could be that during our selection process the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and if you have not yet heard from us, your application remains active.
- Acquisition is not appreciated.