With the kind support of UNESCO, we are delighted to announce that at RNW Media, we are setting up an online community of practice (CoP) for digital content creators developing and sharing information about sexual and reproductive health well-being, relationships, and much more. Together, we will build a community to empower digital content creators to connect, learn, and innovate.
Global Online Survey
In April-May 2022, RNW Media conducted a global online survey with digital content creators who develop and share information online about sex, sexuality, pleasure, reproductive health, puberty, love and relationships, and much more!
Over 200 digital content creators from around the world participated in the survey, sharing not just the challenges they face in their work, but also potential solutions that can help them in their efforts to engage with young people on diverse topics pertaining to comprehensive sexuality education and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR).
More than 50 percent of survey respondents cited developing and sustaining partnerships and collaborations as a key challenge to their work, while nearly 70 percent of those who participated in the survey shared that connecting with their peers and fellow content creators could help address many of these challenges. In fact, nearly 90 percent of survey respondents supported the idea of having a collective space, such as the creators’ hub, to build a support system and solidarity among digital content creators globally.
Digital Sex-Ed Creators Hub
The vision of the hub is to co-create an actively safe, accessible, and joyful global (online) space, that is collectively owned and led by digital sex-ed content creators, and enables equitable, inclusive, and collaborative ideation, sharing and learning, practices transformative solidarity, and advances collective action.
The Digital Sex-Ed Creators Hub is an (online) community space that aims to enable and empower digital content creators to:
- Connect with each other
- Learn, share, and innovate
- Invest in their professional development through upskilling, networking, and potential funding opportunities
- Build a space of mutual support and solidarity
- Have fun while on their journey of (co)creating!
The hub’s vision, intent, and actions are grounded in the following five values and principles:
- Practicing a human rights-based approach that is directed towards protecting and promoting human rights
- Ensuring equitable access to opportunities for hub members
- Practicing diversity and inclusion in hub’s processes, activities, and sessions to ensure that all hub members feel represented, heard, and valued in relation to all decisions made for and by the hub members
- Co-creating a non-judgmental, safe, and respectful space where hub members can be their authentic selves and feel free to express their ideas, disagreements, and thoughts
- Practicing transformative solidarity – one that “requires us to challenge ourselves to commit for the long term, disrupt the status quo and deepen relationships rather than walk away when they become hard” (The Building Movement Project, 2021).
Registration for hub membership is now open! The registration form can be found here.
The following membership criteria apply:
- You are a digital content creator who develops content to share awareness and information about bodies, sex, relationships, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and other aspects of sexuality education (this content may be central to your work or a part of it, can be in any language, and may use different channels, modalities and digital formats).
- Your primary online audience is adolescents and young people between the ages of 10-24.
- You are willing to commit time outside of your work to participate in hub activities and sessions
(approximately 2-3 hours per month).
- You are actively invested in addressing challenges you face as a digital content creators, and willing to pariticipate in collective action and solidarity.
- You are committed to supporting and respecting the safety and autonomy of all hub members.
Registration is free and takes place on a rolling basis.